These quick and easy banana peanut butter pupcakes are the perfect tasty treat for your dog.
With all natural ingredients, peanut butter cupcakes for dogs are a great choice for a healthy dog birthday cake or as a special dog treat.
So if your dog loves banana and peanut butter and you are looking for a healthy recipe for dog cupcakes, try these yummy peanut butter and banana pupcakes.
Banana Peanut Butter Pupcakes Recipe Overview
When my vizsla turned one I was looking for easy dog birthday cupcake recipes to celebrate surviving our first year!!
We’d made it through the potty training, sharkie biting stage, crate training and endless trips to the vet for mysterious illnesses and we wanted to celebrate.
Like many vizslas, ours has a sensitive stomach, so I wanted to find healthy and easy pupcakes recipes. But I struggled to find any that didn’t include loads of sugar, frosting and a huge list of ingredients.
So I made my own cupcake recipe for dogs – and here it is!
These dog friendly cupcakes contain only natural ingredients and 2 of the most popular doggie flavors – banana and peanut butter.
They are perfect if you are looking for an easy dog birthday cake. But why only give them once a year! Doggie cupcakes are also great as special treats any time of year.
Peanut Butter Banana Dog Cupcakes Ingredients
To make these puppy cupcakes you will need:
- Smooth peanut butter
- Ripe banana
- Oat flour
- Wheat flour
- Baking powder
Important: Make sure the peanut butter does not contain the artificial sweetener, Xylitol. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs and unfortunately many sugar free products contain it.
You will also need a muffin tray. I used a regular size muffin tray, but you could also use a mini muffin tray for a batch of mini pup cakes.
How To Make Banana and Peanut Butter Pupcakes
In a medium sized bowl add your banana and mash with a fork.
Add the peanut butter, honey and egg to the bowl with the banana and mix with a spoon until combined.
Then add both flours and the baking powder. Mix well.
Finally add the water to the bowl and stir to combine.
Lightly grease your muffin tray (or use muffin liners) and fill each hole with the pupcake mix until 2/3 full.
Pop in a medium oven (350 F / 180 C) for around 20 minutes or until cooked and nice and brown on top.
Leave in the tray for a few minutes then pop onto a wire rack to cool completely.
If you use muffin liners, remove them once the muffins are cool in order to serve to your pup.
How To Serve Peanut Butter Doggie Cupcakes
I like to simply top the cupcake with my dog’s favorite treat – a milk bone or a piece of jerky are great options.
Be warned your pup is likely to eat the tasty pupcake in one or two bites, so be ready to take that photograph before you let them loose on the pupcake!!
If you would like to serve these dog muffins as a doggie birthday cake, top each cupcake with a dog friendly frosting.
I usually combine 1/2 cup softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup dog friendly peanut butter and 1 tablespoon greek yogurt. Pipe or spread the mix onto each pupcake and serve.
How To Store Puppy Cupcakes
Store your pupcakes in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
They can also be frozen – simply wrap well (or pop them in a zip lock bag) and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Homemade Pupcakes For Dogs Questions Answered
So long as you use dog friendly ingredients, cupcakes are safe for dogs. Avoid ingredients that are toxic to dogs such as Xylitol and chocolate. Also factor in any known allergies or food sensitivities of your dog when making dog cupcakes.
Honey is safe for dogs in small quantities. It is best to stick to using commercial honey that has been processed and avoid using raw honey for puppies.
Yes, you can freeze pupcakes. Simply pop them in an airtight container or zip lock bag and seal well. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Dog Treat Recipes
If you loved this recipe for dog cupcakes, you may like these dog treat recipes too:
- Frozen peanut butter kefir dog treats
- Frozen strawberry yogurt dog treats
- Frozen strawberry banana dog treats
See all our dog treat recipes here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Like this recipe? Don’t forget where you found it! Save it to Pinterest for later.
Easy Banana Peanut Butter Pupcakes Recipe
These quick and easy banana peanut butter pupcakes are the perfect tasty treat for your dog. With all natural ingredients, cupcakes for dogs are also a great option for a healthy dog birthday cake.
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (see note 1)
- 1/4 cup honey (see note 2)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat flour (see note 3)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Dog treats for garnish (optional)
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Lightly oil your muffin tin, or line 6 holes with muffin liners.
- In a medium sized bowl mash the banana with a fork.
- Add the peanut butter, honey and egg to the banana and mix well.
- Add both the oat and wheat flours and baking powder to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Finally, add the water to the mixture and mix well.
- Fill each muffin hole 3/4 full with the pupcake mix.
- Pop the muffin tray in the pre-heated oven and bake dog cupcakes for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
- When ready to serve, remove muffin liner (if using), top with your pup's favorite treat and serve!
- Check the ingredients for your peanut butter and ensure it does not contain xylitol - an artificial sweetener that is dangerous for dogs.
- Avoid using raw/unprocessed honey - it is not safe for puppies. Instead buy commercial honey from your supermarket.
- If your dog follows a wheat free diet or has a gluten intolerance, simply replace the wheat flour with oat flour.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g